VDC / Modeler Position
1387 E Cope Avenue
Maplewood, MN 55109
Reports to: Director of Virtual Design and Construction
Send Your Resume to Our Human Resources Manager, Vinette at email@example.com
Since 1985, M. G. McGrath, Inc. has been an award-winning leader in the design, fabrication, and installation of architectural surfaces in the commercial construction industry. Performing work in the 48 contiguous United States, we specialize in custom architectural exterior enclosure systems.
Known for creative solutions and master craftsmanship, we self-perform much of our own work to ensure smooth communication and transitions as a project moves through its lifecycle. MG McGrath Inc. has successfully completed some of the most complex architectural designs, all while maintaining the highest levels of safety and quality in our shop and field. We pride ourselves on being true partners and having a passion for excellence from concept to completion all backed up by proactive management and innovative solutions.
Virtual Design and Construction Department
Our VDC team has a diverse number of responsibilities here at MG McGrath. As an integral part of the team, the VDC department assists the project team in utilizing BIM (Building Information Modeling) for multiple phases of a project. At the beginning of a project, utilizing BIM to assist in the conforming the design to the client’s intent, then throughout the design process using BIM to coordinate with the client through clash detection and RFI’s, and lastly, BIM is then used for internal purposes to support our Shop and Field craft workers in the completion of the projects.
Responsible for creating computational models and Building Information Models, to assist the project team from concept to completion. Primarily operating in Rhino and Grasshopper to create a usable model for multiple departments within and outside of the company. Communication is key to success in the position, making sure we are clear with expectations with both internal and external team members.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare 3D models (including computational/parametric, sketch models, fabrication models, etc.), shop drawings and diagrams for use in conversion of design data to fabrication data during design development and fabrication / construction.
- Template/Scripting Development
- Proactively review client models to locate potential problem areas
- Quality & Consistency of Documentation of project
- Collaborate w/BIM modelers, architects, GC’s, and Engineering
- Schedule discipline
- Clash Detection
- Coordinate between 2d shop drawings, construction documents, and 3d model
- Assembly and Fabrication Drawings
- Shop and Field Coordination
- QA/QC of model progress
- Research & Development
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- 5+ years Rhino experience with Grasshopper
- Template/Scripting Development; Grasshopper
- Ability to prioritize and hit deadlines
- Able to Collaborate
- Fundamental understanding of Shop and Field Operations
- Autodesk Products; Autocad, Revit
Education and Experience
- Associate degree or higher (preferred)
- Rhino and Grasshopper Model to Fabrication
- 3+ years Revit experience with Dynamo a plus
- Autodesk Products; Autocad, Revit a plus
- Navis/Revizto clash detection experience desirable, but not required.
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience determined to be acceptable.
- Programming experience would be a plus.
MG McGrath is an EEO/Affirmative Action/M/F/Veteran/Disabled Employer