Entry-Level Project Accountant Internship Position
1387 E Cope Avenue
Maplewood, MN 55109
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
Send Your Resume to Our Human Resources Manager, Vinette at firstname.lastname@example.org
Position & Company Overview
This position will begin as an internship learning to provide Accounting and Job-costing support to Project Managers for construction projects. Duties include project-specific accounting functions, Invoice reviews, financial reporting and documentation as required by the customer, research and resolve cost anomalies and discrepancies, ensure proper supporting documentation for all project costs, monthly forecasting, and interface with corporate Finance & Accounting teams. This position requires a high level of attention to detail and accuracy, as well as clear and proactive communication.
MG McGrath Inc. is an award-winning leader in the fabrication and installation of architectural surfaces, providing customers with master craftsmanship, dedication, and extraordinary products & systems. We are a national facade contractor, featuring the latest equipment, tools, technology, and a 100,000 square foot custom manufacturing facility. We offer our clients a wide range of products and services to meet the ever-changing and evolving needs of the architectural and building community. We have a proven record in glass and glazing exterior facades, storefronts, skylights, and interiors that eases any owner’s mind and allows them to build with confidence. One of our employees says it best “The greatest thing about MG McGrath is that there never seems to be a shortage of challenges.” MG McGrath is a great place to work and has been voted a Star Tribune Top Workplace for the last 8 years in a row by our own employees! If you’re up for a rewarding challenge, we invite you to take the first step and apply today!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with Project Managers to properly setup and maintain projects, including contract fee, budgets, and billing information.
- Develop Schedule of Values & Pay Application in conjunction with Project Manager.
- Ensure timely and accurate job costing for labor charges, expenses, billing rates, fees and make changes and reclassifications as necessary.
- Ensure billing and reporting requirements are met by deadlines.
- Review and approve project invoices consistent with contract terms and sales tax nexus.
- Review vendor and subcontractor invoices, match with commitments, check for accuracy and proper coding.
- Support the development of monthly project forecasts and financial reports.
- Analyze project performance and participate in project review meetings with PMs, including identifying opportunities for additional fees.
- Analyze AR retainage report to ensure the issuance of final closeout invoices.
- Analyze and report accounts receivable status and collection. Follow up on the status of client invoices to assist Collections Manager with the validation of collections probability.
- Process and review expense reports as necessary.
- Review actuals – labor and costs, ensure proper understanding and allocation.
- Provide additional analytical support regarding project status and performance as needed.
- Post journal entries and performs job cost reconciliations in accordance with monthly, quarterly, and annual closing calendars.
- Support Project Audits.
- Ensure all local requirements are followed and documented according to requirements.
- Confirm and track lien waivers.
- Assist team in process improvement.
- Assist team in systems implementations and data integrity.
- Other projects and duties as assigned by CFO.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Familiarity with the construction industry.
- Understanding of basic project accounting policies and procedures.
- Advanced analytical and reporting skills.
- Ability to prioritize and manage conflicting deadlines.
- Intermediate to advanced Excel skills.
- Ability to learn new systems and processes quickly.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with individuals at all levels and disciplines.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Accounting and/or Construction or Project Management or working towards the achievement of a bachelor’s degree in the near future.
- Construction industry experience desirable.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience is acceptable.
- 0-2 years of applicable experience.
MG McGrath is an EEO/Affirmative Action/M/F/Veteran/Disabled Employer