Since its founding in 1871, Lakewood Cemetery in Minneapolis has served as the foremost resting place for Minnesota’s distinguished citizens. Familiar names like Humphrey, Wellstone, Pillsbury, and Walker are found here, among a long list of local pioneers, heroes, civic leaders, industrialists and art patrons. The private, non- sectarian cemetery is laid over 250 acres of rolling landscape adjoining the city’s historic Grand Round’s parkway system. Lakewood Cemetery’s historical importance and impeccably manicured grounds make it a treasured landmark and community asset in the City’s Uptown neighborhood.
“The lakewood cemetery in minneapolis minnesota is a 143-year-old historic ‘lawn plan’ design recently faced with the challenge of creating a 21st-century commemorative facility to fit in with their revered landscape. american design firms HGA architects and halvorson design partnership collaborated on the new mausoleum to fit within the iconic site adding a new language to the existing structures. using natural materials such as locally sourced granite, marble and wood, the orthogonal forms compliment the south-facing slope on which they are situated. groves of native trees and a habitable green roof that extends the topography undoubtedly ground the design in the historically preserved environment. the structure completes the cluster dating back to 1871, surrounded by the original chapel, mausoleum, and garden crypts around an open green gathering area and reflecting pool. although capable of hosting services of up to 10,000 people, the new building maintains a visually low profile by embedding much of its program into the adjacent hillside. working closely with the landscape architects and implementing advanced storm water collection systems the project refines a poetic contemporary addition to the area with a highly integrated solid-void relationship between site and building.” – designboom.com
MG McGrath’s Scope of Work: MG McGrath installed 3″ Thermax sheathing, Z furring, 3/4″ plywood, 30# felt, copper vertical standing seam wall panels out of 16 ounce copper. MG McGrath fabricated all of the window trims using .063” polished, and patinized Muntz Bronze. Conical skylights were installed on the green roof and they were made of 1/8” polished, and patinized Muntz Bronze. All exterior copings consisting of Quartz Zinc, and 1/8” Bronze were fabricated by MG McGrath. Interior: Interior oculus skylight trim rings were fabricated and installed by MG McGrath. They were then plastered over to give the entire interior of the skylight the same finish. MG McGrath fabricated face plates to modify exit light signs using 1/8” Aluminum which received a plaster finish to blend in with the wall, and the Bronze, which was installed into an architectural brick wall. MG McGrath fabricated slotted, radiused, .090” diffusers directly inside the glass of the conical skylights and they can be seen from outside on the green roof. We fabricated 3 round, conical, cover plates for the Bocci lights on the second floor of the mausoleum. They were fabricated and installed in a manner that allows a person to change a light bulb without taking the entire cover plate off. They are mounted with fasteners, but also have a chain which will hold the cover from falling when the fasteners are removed. All of the interior window frames were clad with .063” patinized Muntz Bronze.